Thursday, January 7, 2010

Brace Face

Welcome to 2010 all my blog buddies. We haven’t spoken in some time, but don’t worry, now that all the excitement of Thanksgiving and Christmas and the New Year has passed I finally have time to blog again! You should be hearing from me about once a week.
I hope that your new year is bringing health and happiness prosperity to you and your family. It has brought changes for me. In my mouth that is. Yes boys and girls—I am wearing braces.
Now for some people the idea of wearing braces conjures up images of middle school, and acne, and years of being teased for being a “brace face” or metal mouth” but let me assuage those fears for you.
At our office we do adult ortho which is different from traditional ortho. For most adults you are in and out of braces in 6 months! Thats quick, by the time you are tired of having them, it's time to take them off! I was wondering how it is possible to do it this quickly as an adult, when for lots of kids it takes years to get out of braces. So of course I asked Dr. Parkin—the expert. Here is the answer.
With adult ortho you aren’t moving back teeth. You are moving just front teeth, which move more quickly than molars do. Another great thing about adult ortho is that it is cheaper than traditional ortho. Let me explain why this is. Our goal with 6 month braces is not to place each patient in a perfect bite relationship which can take several years and many thousands of dollars. We will maintain the relationship you have and perhaps improve it, what we will do is work to correct crowded teeth, spaced teeth, rotated teeth, tipped teeth, open bites and bites that are over closed. We will change anything that will affect the appearance of front teeth. We do not move molars around, the goal of 6 month braces is not skeletal or bite perfection, it is to give you a great smile in a reasonable amount of time.
I am excited to be in braces, and having a gorgeous smile 6 months from now! I would love to talk about it with you if you are interested in improving your smile.
Please give me a call at the office so we can talk about if you would benefit from adult ortho. 719-576-1730.

2 comments:

  1. that's very interesting..... I know we spent around $6,000 on braces for our teen aged, acne faced daughter. If we had only known we could wait 'til now and save time and money. But we were afraid she would be too homely to find a quality boyfriend back then. Happy Birthday, Brace face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this info! I was wondering about adult braces...

    ReplyDelete